Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Human Body Activity

For the past 3 weeks (2 1/2 to be exact), I have been teaching my students all about the human body, the major organs and their functions. Before I even started teaching the lessons, I knew right away what I wanted to do as their BIG FINAL ACTIVITY. I knew though, that this activity is not one I should do with the type of students I have. My students can not handle projects. They get too rowdy. None the less, I REALLY wanted to try it. Even though I regret it, some of the work the students came up with was worth the madness. Here is what we did:


First cut bulletin board paper the length of the students bodies (1 per child). I grouped the students into two's and had them trace their bodies (with a crayon). Legs were not too important in this activity.
Next I had the students color the organs and cut them out. I had the class read each organ together aloud and they had to give me some facts about that organ and show me where in their bodies was it located.



Next, the students glued the organs onto their traced out bodies. Once the organs were glued I had the students decorate their bodies to make it look like themselves a bit. Here were some of their creations.

If you plan on doing this with your class, use white paper or a light color. My TA cut red paper. It's a bit harder see the colors on red paper. Hope you all enjoyed my adventure I had with my little monsters today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment