Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Breaking Point!

My co-workers laugh, they think it is cute on  how hard I try to make a difference and help my students. I stress all the time over these students. I have a very low performing class and have tried many different routines and ways to help them grasp these ideas I am teaching to them. I even began tutoring a handful of students (free of charge) in the early mornings, 3 times a week for half an hour. Parents drop of their child 10-15 minutes late. It amazes me how the parents have not one ounce of care about their child's education. The children take the extra practice as a joke ( Geee I wonder why). I have 4 students who can not read a first grade level book. One of my students literally can not read second grade level books and insists that he read a whole passage in two minutes. Then when we grade all the work together they get all the answers wrong.

I spent two weeks going over counting coins with my class. The other second grade classes spent 1 week covering this information. After that first weeks test, seeing all those F's made me realize I needed to spend another week on this topic. I graded their second week tests, and was shocked that most the students, again, received F's. I called the students one by one to show them their grades. One particular student, who I tutor in the mornings, missed all NINETEEN questions (this is the same students who "read" the second grade passage in less than 2 minutes). I asked this students if he even cared about his grades. Want to know what his response was? He told me NO! That was my breaking point. During my planning period I typed a letter  to the parents that I will not be able to tutor their children anymore. The school does offer tutoring for the students, but, they have to pay. Why should I care about these kids, when the parents nor the child cares?!
One of the many lessons you will learn as a new teacher. Do not get taken advantage of. Do not focus on the kids who do not care, and their parents do not care either, because you will be wasting your time and energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment